Arthur E. Walker was born in Danville, Kentucky, July 1, 1905. He attended Danville High School. In 1922, he enrolled at the University of Kentucky, College of Engineering, and was a member of the Triangle Fraternity. After college, he began working full time for his father, A. W. Walker, a general contractor in Boyle County. From 1929 until 1932, he was employed by the Wabash Portland Cement Company. Later in 1932,
Mr. Walker served as managing partner in the partnership known as A. W. Walker & Son, along with his father and brother. Then in 1959, Walker Construction Company and Atlas Concrete Products Corporation merged, with Mr. Walker serving as president. It still operates today with the partners being his son and four grandchildren.
Mr. Walker’s military service included a stint in the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers during World War II. He attained the rank of captain before being discharged in June 1945. During his professional career, he brought recognition to himself and Mt. Sterling/Montgomery County through several leadership rolls in regional and statewide organizations. He served as president of Kentucky Highway Division of A.G.C. in 1953, president of Kentucky Association of Highway Contractors in 1954, and president of Plantmix Asphalt Industry of Kentucky in 1968.
He had a passion to create a better living environment for Kentuckians. One way he did this was through a successful business that brought jobs to the community. He also served the community as a longtime director of Mt. Sterling National Bank and Delta Natural Gas Company of Winchester. Also, he was a long-term director of Mary Chiles Hospital and was one of the founders of the Mt. Sterling Golf and Country Club.
Mr. Walker was a member of the Centenary Methodist Church in Danville. He married the former Anne Frances Hamilton of Danville. They had one son, Arthur E. Walker Jr. and four grandchildren. His mentorship set an example for his son and grandchildren.
Mr. Walker was a very astute business leader and outstanding citizen and made significant contributions to a better community, state, and nation. He died January 24, 1981, and through his son and family, he gave posthumously to the establishment of a large recreational park named in his honor. This park will be the site for wholesome activities in perpetuity, influencing the lives of thousands of children and adults.