CONSTRUCTION ENGINEERING & PROJECT MANAGEMENT
The mission of KTC’s Construction Engineering & Project Management group is to improve the development and delivery of infrastructure projects, with a focus on safety, cost, schedule, and quality. Over the past five years, the program has risen to national prominence through a series of projects undertaken as part of the National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) and on behalf of the Construction Industry Institute. Work for the NCHRP has focused on topics such as construction staffing issues and strategies, optimizing the utility coordination process, the use of alternative contracting, and transportation agencies’ use of mobile information technologies. Researchers have collaborated extensively with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet on improving construction inspection, updating construction guidance, and implementing aerial imagery that facilitates project delivery.
Featured Project: Construction Project Managers Academy
This course for Construction Project Managers is being developed as a team effort between KTC and KYTC. The multi-day training will provide project engineers with the skills required to administer a construction project and manage a crew of inspectors. Topics include: the construction procurement and contract letting processes, the precon meeting, inspections, legal issues, and project closeout. Course modules would be taught by KYTC staff from various divisions and districts, with some content taught by outside agencies such as FHWA. The expectation is that the academy will be offered every year, in order to train new engineers and those changing job roles.
Research in Progress
- Balancing Workforce Needs and Infrastructure Demands (collaboration with Policy, Finance, and Economics)
- Establishing a KYTC Lessons Learned Database (collaboration with Policy, Finance, and Economics)
- Building a KYTC Mentoring Program (collaboration with Special Projects and Initiatives)
- Best Practices for MOT on Interstate Pavement Rehabilitation Projects (collaboration with Project Development)
- Risk-Based Project Development
- Guidance for Training and Certification of Construction Inspectors for Transportation Infrastructure
- Effective Management Practices for CEI Contracts
Construction, Engineering & Project Management Faculty & Staff
Program Manager/Research Engineer