What is VPN and Why Do I Care?
Cisco VPN to connect to UK’s campus
There are a couple reasons to need to access the campus network.
- You might want to remote in to a machine on campus.
- You might want to connect to a file server on campus.
- Every 6 months our license for Office needs to connect to campus to validate you’re still a current employee.
To access UK’s VPN on a Mac or Windows computer please follow these steps:
- Login to https://download.uky.edu with your LinkBlue username and password.
- Search for “VPN” in the search bar located at the top of the web page.
- Under the search result titled “Cisco AnyConnect VPN” click “See Downloads.”
- Click the “Download” button next to the version of Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for your operating system.
- After the download is complete, run the installation file or package to install “Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client”.
- Launch “Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client”.
- If the VPN connection field is empty enter vpn.uky.edu
- Click the “Connect” button.
- When prompted enter your LinkBlue credentials.
To access UK’s VPN on an iOS or Android mobile device please follow these steps
- Search the iOS App Store or Google Play Store for “Cisco AnyConnect”.
- Download the “Cisco AnyConnect” app.
- Launch the app.
- Tap on the “Connections” field.
- Tap “Add VPN Connection”.
- Under “Server Address” enter vpn.uky.edu
- Tap “Save”.
- If prompted to “Add VPN Configurations” tap “Allow” or “OK”.
- Select “OK” to add UK VPN as a connection option.
- Go back to the “Cisco AnyConnect” app and slide the switch from “Off” to “On”.
- Enter your LinkBlue credentials in the prompt.
- Tap “Connect”
KYTC – GlobalProtect VPN
Some folks may have the need to connect to Frankfort for various research reasons. In March of 2019, KYTC went to a more secure client. If you use the old VPN Client (Avaya) or the old URL (https://kytc.vpn.ky.gov), you will want to switch.
The new VPN client is called GlobalProtect. It can be downloaded by visiting https://secure.vpn.ky.gov
Once you install the VPN, specify “secure.vpn.ky.gov” then login with your KYTC credentials in domain\username format.
VPN access does require an account to be established through COT. You may need to work with a contact at KYTC to sponsor an account for you. COT charges monthly for access and KYTC regularly closes inactive accounts, so please make sure to log in to VPN at least once every 30 days or your account may be closed due to inactivity.