Oliver Lewis Way (KY 922) opened to traffic after a ceremony on September 22, 2017.
The current Newtown Pike Extension Project extends as a four-lane boulevard from Main Street in a southerly direction to Patterson Street. In June 2000, a report was issued concerning the purpose and need for extending Newtown Pike. The purpose and needs statement focused on:
- Drawing unnecessary traffic out of downtown
- Improving flow of through traffic
- Minimizing impact on the University of Kentucky’s central campus
- Reducing automobile congestion
- Improving downtown redevelopment opportunities
- Increasing opportunities for transit, pedestrian, and bicycle facilities
- Not imposing undue burden on other areas
From this study, a map of the preferred traffic corridor was developed.
Southend Park Urban Village Plan
This project has been a part of the Lexington comprehensive planning process for many years. The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet has committed the funding through 2023 to finalize Phase 2.